Re: Education Cuts

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 19:11:48 PDT

I was so proud of the Wichita community when about two years ago they decided to fund a large bond issue and have first class schools. Art teachers who have been on carts forever will have state-of-the-art art rooms. The airconditioning was just a small part of the total renovations. Having worked in airconditioned and unairconditioned schools I can honestly say that much more learning takes place when students and teachers aren't miserable. Kansas doesn't fund their art teachers nearly as well as New York. I see 850 students a week (I'm a .9 contract--Thursday mornings off) and my supply budget is less than $1 per child for the year. For comparison, about a dozen years ago in Vero Beach, Florida I saw about 650 students per week and as the new person in the district I had the worst schedule. I've never in my teaching career--Ohio, Florida or Kansas--had an adequate budget where I wasn't buying supplies from my own pocket and being a major scavenger for "free stuff." One of the down sides to going to the NAEA in Miami was talking to teachers who saw 4 50 minute classes per day and had supply budgets of $5400. However, I know it's not a good idea to compare oneself with others--there are always people who are in better and worse shape than you.

Counting my blessings and praying for the legislature to see the light--
Marcia, Derby, KS