Re: Clay Projects I hope this helps everyone

---------

From: Kathleen Shilson (kshilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 21:43:14 PDT

Each person works at their own pace.. as each student is different.. with
different approaches to each project. Allot of my students can't finish all
of the projects as I have allot of special needs students, students that are
in and out of detention and reform school. Quality is determined by the
individual. I judge/compare the students work with his/her previous works..
I never compare student to student. I have a tough time in saying the
ceramic pieces are either or craft/fine art. They are artworks utilitarian
or otherwise. Glaze chemistry.. is for college.. these are high school
kids.. oh, I talk about this, but, for them to study this.. My kids/students
come to my class to relax and not to have a "head trip". They already have
pressures on them with learning math, English grad standards etc. Besides
in so many ways they learn allot by calculating on some of their sculptures
and reading up on artists like Rodin, Henry Moore the list goes on.. You
should come to my class.. allot of teachers drop in from time to time on
their prep time to work on their ceramics.. side by side with my students. A
very unique situation I know, students feed off the teachers and see them in
another light.. we crank up the radio and everyone enjoys.. a time to be
together. Students are required to have a journal and to answer journal
questions. They turn this into me at the end of the semester. They make a
thumbnail sketch of each project. I do have artbooks in my room for the
students to do research. I talk about each project to each person(s),
history art lesson as they go from project to project. I will give each
student tips.. its up to them to take it or leave it.. I let them be the
judge(artist). One of my students had her ceramic Urn displayed and it won a
second place ribbon with prize money at a 12 school fine arts festival..
this past weekend. I hope this helps
Wayne S