Re: art auction

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (jane_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 19:33:24 PDT

Last year I did five group projects for the auction -

fourth grade made a chess set - they were studying shakespeare, and they
each did a character from Macbeth on one side of the board vs. Midsummer
night's dream on the other. These were made from ceramics and glazed.
A mother brought in a table on which we painted a chess board and
decoupaged shakespeare illustrations all over. This was beautiful and
sold for a lot of money.

The fifth graders made garden tiles in groups of 3 for a total of about
8 tiles. I bought molds and cement and lots of stained glass pieces.
We poured the concrete and the kids made a mosaic design by pushing the
pieces into the concrete. These were sold as a set - unfortunately they
were not displayed well at the auction (some idiot put them on the
floor, so no one noticed them) and they did not sell for a lot. I think
if they were well displayed, they would have also sold for a lot.

I can't remember what I did with the third grade, but it will come to
me.

The 8th grade did amazing projects - we had these old wooden school
desks - four of them I think and we painted them in the style of
different artists - one was Pollack (fun), one was Mondrian, one was
Calder, and I can't remember the last one...oh yea, it was
Lichtenstein. After they were done I put this really high gloss finish
on them - they were really striking. They sold for a couple of hundred
dollars each.

The last thing I did was for the whole lower school - it took me
personally a lot of time so I would not suggest doing it without help
from the parent's committee, but it was great. Each kid made a square
drawing of a scene from his or her favorite book and colored it with
Crayola fabric crayons. I then ironed them onto while poly fabric and
made two quilts out of them. They looked great - the fabric crayons
really have striking color if you use poly fabric. Also a big hit with
parents - they turned out to be two twin sized quilts.

Maggie Sheeser wrote:

> PLEASE HELP!! Ive waited much too long to ask , so now I am
> desperate. I teach K-4 through 8th grade and we are having our first
> art auction in June. I dont have any brilliant ideas for terrific
> group projects, and am missing other student masterpieces as well . I
> had a lesson plan for Designer Cats, which I have misplaced and one
> for Picasso, also misplaced and also from Arts and Activities. My
> students are quite talented - I am not so I need teacher friendly
> ideas. Thanks very much for whatever ideas you may offer.
> msheeser@bgate.net---
> leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu

---