Re: printmaking

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 17:08:45 PDT

In a message dated 04/08/2002 12:51:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jayna_99@yahoo.com writes:

> Since we are on the subject of printmaking, does
> anyone else get entirely frustrated with the mess?
> My 8th graders are printmaking now, and with a class
> of 26 and two sinks- I'm going insane!!! By the way,
> I'm a neat freak. I'm thinking about having half the
> class print while the other half does something else.
> My smaller classes do not pose a problem. Any other
> suggestions?

I print from grades 2 and up. Here's what I do for one process printing
(without a printing press) with approx. 20-24 students: Students make only
2-4 prints each in 40 min., but don't forget, they're little ones!
(1) Use water soluble ink
(2) Set up my tables as "stations":
           )For 6 tables:
  (a) 3 tables are for inking ONLY; one color per table
  (b) I use one plastic lunch trays, covered in aluminum foil for "ink
plates", a couple of brayers per tray
  (c) Table 4: contains the printing paper. Students must carry their inked
plate carefully to table 4 and place it face up.
        Go to sink- WASH HANDS,
        Return to table 4 and place paper on printing surface and rub. WASH
HANDS, again, if necessary.
   (d) Table 5: Signing Table: After they carefully pull their print,
students carry it to this table which contains pencils for signing and
numbering as an edition
    (e) Table 6- Drying Table: Signed prints are placed here to dry, and
also my drying rack.

Of course, I cover my tables. After, the biggest clean-up is washing the
brayers, but water soluble ink (Speedball brand) makes it doable. Just peel
the foil off the lunch trays and throw away. The kids get nice, neat prints
with no figure prints. Believe it or not, I get no fooling around. Everyone
is directed into following the tables, step by step, and it seems to go
smoothly, with kids at different tables at different times. I stress
cooperation and sharing. You know, the usual.

Does this sound much different from what others are doing? I call it an
"Organized Mess" (Nah, really not so messy- you should see my unconventional
painting lessons) and sometimes I think, "Doesn't everyone do it this way?"
LOL....
Susan on Long Island

---