Re: Education Cuts

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 03:57:42 PDT

In a message dated 04/07/2002 9:11:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mkscurfield@kscable.com writes:

> I would not have believed it before moving here, but Kansas gets very HOT in
> the summer. Teachers return go in mid-August and are done by the end of
> May. It is very miserable from mid-August to the end of September and
> often from mid-April to the end of May. Then there is summer school, which
> would be impossible without airconditioning. These bond issues were passed
> when the economy was good (last year?). These are totally different monies
> from what is spent to run the

Sounds like Kansas is really in better shape with the air-conditioning than
we are in NY. Our school year ends the last week in June (around the 27th)
and it is HOT in NY from at least mid-May through June. We return usually
the day after Labor Day and if Indian Summer kicks in - we are sweating
through Sept-mid Oct. Summer school on the 3rd floor of an unairconditioned
school must be brutal.

My point was: too bad the monies passed for the frills (and I consider
air-conditioning a frill) can't be used toward keeping teachers and support
staff from losing their jobs. Rather see art programs and art supplies
remain intact.
Susan on Long Island

---