Re: Brazil, anyone have info?

---------

From: dorothy (creativemetals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 03:31:25 PDT

> Connie wrote:
>
> > <snip> Would it be helpful to
> > bring any USA "tokens" to hand out? Any ideas of what? We understand
we will be
> > taken to a favela (poor section of town) and have the opportunity to
provide
> > material donations there.

A thought: when traveling 6 weeks in last summer on a Fulbright-Hays group
to China, unquestionably one of the best items we took was a polaroid camera
and tons of film. While many of the rural Chinese were familiar with
travelers taking pictures, never had they seen anyone giving photos away.
Even those who were not interested in being photographed were delighted to
watch the process. We asked first-there are taboos in all cultures. We made
many friends across the continent as we left families, classrooms, and
individuals with lasting images of themselves, and it gave us a chance to
talk to with strangers who would have otherwise kept us at a distance.

---