Re: Education Cuts

---------

From: Laurel (lhalstead_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 15:47:23 PDT

Yes Woody, our state (Iowa) is also facing major cuts. Our school
district is cutting quite abit across the board, my own time will go from
5/8 to 1/2 time. My supply budget is cut 30% and my classes re-organized
a bit tighter. 7th & 8th graders will stay on a 6-week rotation but 6th
graders have gone from an all-year every 3rd day to 9-weeks this year but
next year they will be at only 7-weeks! Surprising how much the
middle-school art program is being cut when we have 2 full-time art
teachers at the high school, classes of 25-30 students with waiting lists!
I've been going thru my supply closets routing out all the "long"
time-consuming project supplies and giving it all to the high school. I
looked at your printing project with envy as I used to do linoleum
printing but will have to hand it over to the high school now along with
other such good stuff. Sigh, sure makes my own program feel a bit
de-valued. Always love checking this "list" for inspiration :)
sorry to be so long,
Laurel

---