Education Cuts

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 11:04:38 PDT

I think everyone, everywhere is suffering and I'm not sure exactly why it
has happened. I think we are not too aware of all the implications of 9/11.
Just how much is our war on terrorism costing us?
And
I know that here in PA, local boards are being saddled with HUGE cost
increases because the state pension fund was tied up with Enron.
millage increases are tremendous

After reading all the advocacy statements sent through this list, I
constantly wonder why the arts are the first to be cut? What is not in
these statements that gets across to the people making the decisions?

> My district (USD 500) Kansas City, Kansas is to cut 4 million from this
> years spending. That translates into 60 teachers, 33 custodians and
> 13 maintenance staff.

I am feeling much for the support staff. Those are the ones my district is
going after first.

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but here in PA education costs
are maintained solely through property taxes. The state slashes and slashes
their support every year. Yet they keep mandating initiatives the local
districts have to maintain. The cost of special education is overwhelming.
I would love to see some big big overview in what public education really
means.
I think the impact of special needs has truly been a detriment to the so
called normal kids. Administrations run in fear of lawsuits, meanwhile, the
majority of kids get something less because our budgets get slashed.
If America is going to guarantee an education for all, then something other
than is happening needs to occur.

I am very perplexed to imagine that greater minds than mine somehow find
education a lesser priority.
What's wrong with me?

Patty

---