Re: Color Printmaking

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 12:35:52 PST

I want to join in the accolades for Woody's printmaking.

Woody indicated that this particular class was "special."
I love when this happens-- a class of kids that will try to meet all and
anything you ask. I have a photo class like that right now. I call them my
Honors Photo. Every kid in the class does every assignment, and, they worry
to death about being late for a due date! Not a one of them wants to produce
something less than acceptable. It is such a joy.

Woody
what is that you think you did to make this lesson so successful?
I think we are all curious about successes. Can you tell us why you chose
to make this kind of demand for this class?
I just introduced wood cut prints to my AP class. Their first reaction was
"do we have to do the reduction thing we did with linoleum in Fine Arts
III?" I'm not asking for that because I happen to love the B&W print best.
But, can you tell us what you did to give the kids the inspiration and
initiative to achieve the results you got?

The work is gorgeous. Tell your kids for me, a teacher in PA, that they
deserve many pats on the back. And that I will being showing their effort to
my seniors and telling them that a little effort is well worth the result.

BTW, my class just completed doing full size clay sculptures of their
heads. They moaned and groaned through the whole process, but did an
excellent job. To answer my own question-- they did a good job, I think ,
first because it was something they never attempted before, and second
because I wouldn't settle for anything less than an accurate representation.

Any how, Woody
I love seeing this kind of effort from middle school
and yes, I understand when I have a group that is so good I want to keep
them.
Thanks for giving us something so inspiring.

Patty

---