Re: Need some suggestions

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 07:15:14 PST

We just did a Sume lesson where the kids studied brush stroke,brush
Western ethic--perfect copying is desired. If you do the perfect copy of
the perfect brushstroke of the horse, you will receive the spirit of the
horse as well as the spirit of the artist who painted it. No perspective.
Interesting in light of our discussions about
copying master work--boy, are we ever mentally invested in Western
ideals.)
 practiced some words--actually we cheated and used Chinese words or
symbols I should say, like truth or beauty, or the wind falling on the
first flowers etc. We had several books-some Chinese, some Japanese and
we mixed designs. We also practiced several images like fish, animals,
flowers etc. Then the kids did a brush painting--with or without light
watercolor wash. Then they wrote some words in characters and finished
with a red stamp of a seal that they had carved out of a pink eraser
carved with x-acto knives. Some of them are fantastic!!
 The philosophy was the great thing for me--I have never liked or
appreciated Chinese and Japanese brush paintings and now I have an inkling
of understanding. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #