RE: artsednet

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 06:41:45 PST

  Styrofoam cutters are great. I put mine on top of my kiln and turn on the
kiln vent when I use it. One of my favorite lessons with styrofoam is also
a favorite of the students. It takes about 3 fifty minute periods and it
turns out great. Because of the safety issue, I do all the cutting
beforehand. I take all my Styrofoam and just cut shapes. It try to cut as
many varieties of shapes as I can think of. Some look like giant puzzle
parts. Some are angular and some rounded. I also vary the size. We talk
about function of negative space in sculpture and look at some sculptures.I
put a huge pile of precut shapes on each table and they dig in. Each chooses
as many or as few as they want. They use Elmer's glue to put them together.
toothpicks are only used when needed. The second week they add more shapes.
The third week they paint with tempera. Sometimes we extend it to a fourth
week and add a second layer of paint and/or glitter. I spray floor wax over
the completed sculptures to the tempera will appear more vibrant and glossy
like acrylic. They are always the rage at displays and exhibits.
Martha Ulakovits