Re: artsednet digest: April 04, 2002

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 06:28:16 PST

Hi Carmela--it sounds like you have already listed all the reasons why you
shouldn't have parents in the classroom. We had an active parent advisory
group in the jr. high--which sounds great and can be directed to do good
things, but remember that every parent that will take the time to come in
has some personal adgenda--and certainly foremost is promoting their
child. We stopped having parents help with hall and playground duty when
we discovered that one mom was actively organizing against the Hispanic
students!! IF you decide to go ahead, have clear plans and activities up
front--ie--I need a parent who will come in at 3 and stay till 4 on Weds.
afternoon to help hang up work in the halls. You need to be clear that
you don't want advice on how to grade work and handle discipline. You
also might consider having an art club which can do the same work??
Either way you will have to be there anyway to supervise. I'm not a very
good delegator so I find that my student aides in high school are just
another thing that I have to plan for and it would be easier to do it
myself. I try to do as much as possible during class time. There is a
lot of time when you are just letting the kids work--they understand the
assignment and need time--try to use that time to get all these jobs done.
When I first started teaching I used to spend 12 hour days getting things
set up, cleaned up etc.--now I'm amazed at how much I can get done during
classes--and the kids can always interrupt me if they need help. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #