RE: artsednet digest: April 05, 2002

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 06:09:03 PST

Carmela,
  I have not had a parent advisory committee but I have had volunteers that
worked with me over the years. I can tell you though, that my sister, a band
director at a prominent high school, has what they call booster parents. We
have talked many times over the years about what a pain it is. Sure they
help out and they raise money and it does extend the influence of her
department, but it definitely has it's downside. Just form observation, I
would say most of the problems she has is in dealing with the booster
parents. They want to run her program. They have strongly voiced their
opinions on various subjects including but not limited to: how the money
raised would best benefit the band program, what the uniforms should look
like, who should be in what position, who should be allowed to participate
in what event, what music should be played for what event,etc. All of these
issues are decisions the band director and assistant should make, not
parents. Parent have often gotten argumentative with my sister, her
assistant and/or each other. They have made threats and gone over her head
many times. I am not talking about one group of malcontents. I am talking
about a pattern that exists over the years. Fortunately her principal always
backed her up, but who needs the hassle? They save her time and help her out
in many ways but sometimes they consume her time too. She has to manage the
students and them.
  My experience is limited to a few volunteers. Some volunteers have been
very helpful and follow my lead, others have tried to take the lead away
from me and made decisions on their own that became embarrassing. I have no
aid or assistant assigned to me at all and currently I have no volunteer. I
chose not to ask for volunteers on a regular basis this year because of past
experiences. The pto meddles enough. I have had to struggle with them to
maintain the integrity of my art program and I have made a few enemies in
doing so.
   I think it is a trade off any way you look at it. You might try it for a
short period of time. Nothing is set in stone (unless you do it for three
consecutive years, ha, ha.)If it turns out to be more trouble that it is
worth then pare it down until it doesn't exist.
Martha Ulakovits