Calder Mobiles - info offered

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 06:21:10 PST

First - thanks to those who answered my call for help about this. I have
a student teacher who I helped put this together (she did most of the
work) It is a handout for our students to use. I am also including some
websites that I found helpful, at least one was also listed before. I
found that if you go to Google and type in Calder mobiles you get a lot
of info.
Here are the websites, and then the handout:
(By the way, if anyone knows of a job opening, I think my student teacher
is going to be one heck of a good teacher)

http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~brand/about-mobiles.html
http://www.sfmoma.org/espace/calder/calder_windmobiles.html
http://www.ien.it/~magni/home_art.htm
http://www.teachervision.com/tv/printables/0130533688_2.pdf
http://www.artcult.com/calder.htm
http://www.artsmia.org/art_in_america/24_4.html

Mobiles - Graphic Design

Assignment:
        You will create a model of a mobile to hang in the main entrance of the
high school. This is a wonderful opportunity - therefore will spend class
time brainstorming and helping each other with ideas and tips to make each
one a successful model.

Tips/Things to Keep in Mind:

1) Balance and harmony are two key factors in making your mobile work.
This does not mean symmetrical. In fact, a mobile is much more
interesting to look at if it is NOT symmetrical.

2) Shapes is another key element. Your shapes do not have to be abstract.
 This is where the assignment is completely open to your creativity.
The shapes can be something about your environment, the school, Cleveland
- or they can be a certain type of design.

3) Remember to place your shapes on different planes - this is not
restricted to only a horizontal or vertical plane. Your shape can spiral
or curve or go diagonally through. A variety of planes would make the
piece more visually pleasing. However, you need to think about unifying
the piece together and not making it too chaotic.

4) When first starting out with ideas - keep it simple.

5) We will be using wire and other materials to make the mobiles. Bring
in anything that you think would be helpful to you or anyone else - this
could be cardboard, pliers, colored saran wrap.

6) On the back of this paper jot down the ideas discussed in class.
Although you may not use any of them - this can help you think of other
ideas as well (especially over break).

7) Start by making sketches of what you want your shapes to be. Donít
worry about balance yet. Consider if you want them to be transparent,
reflective, both or some other possibility. Begin to think about colors,
what colors might work well together.

8) Think about how many layers you may want.

---