Re: Waterproofing plastergauze--or a better idea???

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 21:19:09 PST

Cement, even quickcrete can be quite caustic--you'd need serious rubber
gloves. I have been wanting to make a cement fountain but my plan was to
dig a negative mold in soft dirt or sand would be better. Remember to set
a hole in reverse for the pump. The higher piece from which the water
flows can be a separate piece that fits over the pump. Then you could mix
up the cement and pour it in and smooth it down without having to try to
sculpt with it. The same idea as sand candles if you've ever made them.
You might try to mix up some quickcrete first and see how you feel about
it. It's really heavy duty work trowelling it around and mixing the sand
or gravel and the water and the cement mix--hence the reason people rent
little cement mixers--then you have to clean them out carefully. What you
really want is a student's dad who works with cement to come and help you
and be the muscle.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #