Re: high fire clay

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 14:19:33 PST

  Artgirl109@aol.com wrote: Do any of you with high school ceramic programs use high fire clay. We have a new ceramic supplier in our area and the owner suggested that I switch to high fire clay because the glazes are so much better. She also suggested that I buy the 25lb. powdered glazes and mix my own starting out with a few and adding a new color every year. She had a wonderful Turquoise Matt that was $50 for 25Lbs. She said I could get about a pint of glaze per pound. This would allow students to dip rather then brush on the glaze. The glazes were so beautiful I was tempted to switch, but I thought I'd better ask my art buddies about this.
I'm looking for any thoughts, I have $500 to spend and need to do it quickly.
Thanks so much,
susie
in beautiful, warm Floriday ---
to contribute an answer to your query he's very knowledgable !with high fire; though ,you have higher gas bills; longer firing times ;more exploded pottery from captured air bubbles in un-thoroughly wedged clay.more beauty -more head aches?however mc cafferty, at last ,check was head of the ceramics department and could be a wellspring of info....good uck!eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com ....greg sharp