styro tips

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 06:03:51 PST

The cutters are wonderful, but do be sure to use in a WELLLLL ventilated
area or hook up a fan to blow the fumes away. A sculptor just told me
recently that the fumes stay in the air for a long time and can be very
hazardous. As an alternative, if they can use knives, the cheap-o serrated
ones from the dollar store work well--I have a friend who owns a Subway and
he gives me their old knives that they use for the bread once they don't cut
the bread so well anymore. Cut the styro very well (and hands, too).

You can easily join pieces with Elmer's and toothpicks. Put some glue on
the ends of the toothpicks as well as along the styro surfaces. Push the
toothpicks into the two pieces to be joined. I used them about every 4-6
inches or so. Bigger the surface, more toothpicks.
Hope this helps.

Marlyn Foell
In sunnnnny Florida where I'm wearing sleevless today.

---