Re: New Member

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 19:26:33 PST

Hi Beth,

I have a project that I used to do with 4th graders, but I got it from a
middle school art teacher. It's a little complicated to explain, but easy
to do from a cart without a sink, and my students loved it. We created
polyhedrons from 12x12" paper and decorated each side with pattern. You
fold the paper in half, reversing the fold. Actually, you reverse every
fold. By reverse, I mean you fold the paper the opposite way along the same
crease so that the paper bends forward and backward. For the second fold,
turn the paper and fold it in half the other way to make a + across the
paper. Fold diagonally in half both ways to make an x on top of the +.
Remember to reverse every fold. Fold the outer edges, all four of them, so
that they touch the center creases. Lastly, fold the corners into the
middle. Did I mention that you need to reverse the folds?!!! You should
have a sheet of paper made up of triangles. At this point we discuss the
difference between pattern and design and I challenge students to create a
different pattern for each triangle, using their name as the motif in one
triangle. Markers look great. When they've finished embellishing with
pattern, they fold a second sheet of paper, but leave it white. Cut both
sheets of paper on the center crease on each side until you get to the first
crease that runs perpendicular to the crease on which you are cutting.
Next, overlap one square (two triangles make a square) with another at the
cut on each side of the paper. Make sure that all corners point out, but
lines may go in thanks to those reversed folds. Tape the overlapped squares
with transparent tape. You should have a funny looking form with an opened
end. Assemble the second sheet of paper in the same manner. On the white
sheet of paper fold in the flaps on the open end and place this form inside
the embellished form. If you line up sides it works easily. Then, just
tape the open end closed on the embellished form and viola! I like to add
yarn and hang them from my classroom ceiling. Make a sample first and
listen to the ooohh's and aaaahhh's when you introduce this activity. I
used this activity to reinforce shape vs. form.