Re: cutting styrofoam

---------

From: Doris Wilbur (wilburd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 18:37:15 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Hopkins" <hopkiaar@wcboe.k12.md.us>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 12:51 PM
Subject: cutting styrofoam

> i have lots of styrofoam and was thinking about using it to make
> sculpture with the fourth grade. is there a great way to cut this
> stuff...some of it is over four inches thick! and for that matter...how
> about keeping it together...just elmer's?
> appreciate any good suggestions!

There is a special cutter for styrofoam in the art catalogs. It's kinda like
a thin electrical wire unit. I use a cheap pumpkin carving blade I got in a
kit. Works good for me. In college sculpture we gave our styrofoam pieces a
quick spray with Clear Krylon and then quickly pushed parts together. Doris

---