Re: easy vs. tough long and windy!

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 18:34:27 PST

I have also found that many of students like the writing and talking about
art, as much as the making. Occasionally, I will get a student that will
say "Hey, this is art why are we writing?"
I have multiple answers, but usually to the effect of developing the entire
person...
writing across the curriculum is extremely important and can help children.
Three years ago I had a doctoral student in my room doing research about
writing in art.... according to his documentation, in my twelve weeks with
7th grade students their writing skills alone improved over 80% due to the
writing that I have students do in my course. Art can make a difference in
so many ways!
Don't limit it by only making token images... instill meaning. There has to
be a balance.
My principal recently asked how much of my grade was based on written work
and how much on product...I really didn't know until I looked in the grade
book. I was actually surprised. It was 50/50.