Re: Daruma dolls

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 20:02:49 PST

Actually--I've never taught this lesson. I'm just responding to a thread of maybe a month ago. Basically you hot-glue a rock in the bottom of the plastic egg (so when tipped over the little monk rights himself) then paper mache a layer of red paper (bulletin board paper) over the egg, a salmon colored face and two white eyes. After drying details are added with black and gold. When a person make a Daruma doll he makes a plan to accomplish something accomplishable (Lose five pounds?) and colors in one of the white eyes. When you accomplish your goal, color in the other eye. I'm leaving out alot of the Japanese lore on this one. Check earlier threads on ArtsEdNet--pretty recently.

Marcia, Derby, KS