Re: Patriotic Art

---------

carm_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 16:21:18 PST

     Although I did this with 5th grade, I think it could be adapted to any
level.
    After the events of September 11th, I did a project with my 5th graders
using the Statue of Liberty as our centerpiece. We started by learning
about he history of the monument and discussing what she has meant and means
to people. We discussed how Peter Max has painted this theme every year
since 1976. We also looked at political cartoons.
     Each students drew Liberty's face on a 12" square piece of
paper---interpreting the face and background as they wanted. Each table
leader drew a slip of paper out of a basket with a specific color harmony
that their table was to use--monochromatic, analogous, primary, secondary,
complementary, patriotic, etc.
     When the paintings were finished, I hung them Andy Warhol style using
all 64 paintings from my three 5th grades. It was successful in that it
encompassed a national monument, art history, the color wheel and
self-expression. But mostly, the students were receptive and glad to have
a chance to express themselves about 9/11. And even in 5th grade, they saw,
listened and thought about it a lot.
      Also, a few months ago--either School Arts or Arts & Activities had a
patriotic project that looked pretty nifty, too.

Anne C-H in Illinois