Taschen Posterbook "Picasso" Vol.2 ISBN 3-8228-9446-X

---------

From: Peter Gorham (gorhapej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 09:53:12 PST

I have been asking my K-6 classes to copy Picasso's "Cat
Catching Bird" 1939 oil on canvas from Taschens poster
book (see Subj line) I bought my copy for $6.99 Canadian
at Chapters,Indigo

This has been my answer to my classes asking "Are we
doing an Easter picture?" It seems to have been a good
lesson as the drawings are better then usual. We have
been talking about Picasso's vision of this cat being more
about truth then beauty and with the older classes about
violence in his day- We have talked about the drama in the
picture, the qualities of the lines he used, ie the scratchy
lines-his method of dating the picture -the flatness of the
image- the nature of cats and especially with the youngest
we have talked a little about their cats- Some classes
have decided that this is a pregnant cat as it has a belly
and have wondered if she is eating the bird because she
must. The fact that the eyes and ears and nose and mouth
are drawn very differently has helped to keep the childrens'
drawings very different from the usual symbol for a cat that
they have developed proviously.
All in all a great lesson in looking and questioning as well
as representing.
This lesson and the image seems to be a good fit and has
been more inclusive while at the same time resonates with
some of the ideas that are important for many of my
students at this time of year. It certainly feels better to
have been able to avoid all of the usual commercialized
symbols of this holiday.

Peter Gorham

---