Re: Closed minded administrators

---------

From: Christopher Anderson (canderso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 18:12:15 PST

I agree with Patty,
I taught in Florida for several years (of course I taught English) where
7 out of ten consider themselves to be Born Again Christians. I realized
I was simply there to do my job, not to challenge their sense of
decency. So I picked my literature with care and tried to accommodate
the prevailing attitudes. You pick and choose your battles and some
aren't worth the effort (or the price). Chris

>>> pknott@enter.net 04/01/02 15:36 PM >>>
PLEASE BE CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ADMINISTRATORS!

We all, as art educators understand the "problem" of nudity in art. We
have
a gazillion justifications for the the history.

But, understand that there is a very uneducated public out there, as
well as
a very strong faction of people that don't understand what we understand
about art.

Very unfortunately, we have to become very conscious of the images that
we
display. I'm not saying that I agree, but I think any images of nudity
MUST
be well established as historic art images.
Some of the Poser stuff allows a lot of speculation.

But back to my opening statement.

What we say on this list is not secure.
Anybody can access this list
So be careful what you say about administrators...

I live in a community that is heaped in fundamental beliefs. I think
hard
and long about the images I display. I censor every magazine I bring
into
the classroom. I hate it, but I am not willing to fight battles over
breast displayed.

Perhaps there are some of you willing to fight these battles--
Let us know your success.

Patty

---
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu