Re: Calligraphy-Elementary, smart fifth graders?

---------

From: Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 17:28:09 PST

 After teaching calligraphy for a bazillion years I just read that permanent
inks should be avoided for use with dip pens. Apparently, permanent inks
(this means india ink) contain a varnish which helps the ink be permanent
when dry. No more will I soak and gently scrape india ink/varnish cloggy
buildup from my expensive pen nibs. We use concentrated watercolors for ink
now. Even my middleschoolers have noticed a difference in ease of writing
using the pens with watercolors (Sax makes some great ones). We squirt a
couple drops of the color(s) we want to use into the dents of paint trays.
If you want your words to slowly change color, dip the pens into a new color
every couple letters. We call this "rainbow writing."

This information may be common knowledge, but this old art teacher never
knew it until a couple months ago.

Ginny Rockwood
Brattleboro Area Middle School
Brattleboro, VT