Closed minded administrators

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 08:25:15 PST

Ok. Last week my principal came in to talk to me about something during my
conference period. It just so happened that I was working on a Painter
tutorial about painting clothing, so I had a nude figure (created in Poser)
open in Painter.

Of course he freaked and yelled at me about pornography. I tried to explain
it was art, but he wouldn't listen to me.

THEN last Friday I had to be absent (yes we had to work on Good Friday) as
my mother's cancer is in its final stages and I wanted to be able to say my
goodbyes. Well, while I was gone he had somebody come and take my computers.
They were returned by this morning, but I knew somebody had messed with them
as they weren't set back up correctly.

The principal won't talk to me about it, saying "we'll discuss it later" so
I assume they copied my harddrives and are now sorting through them for
"discriminating evidence"

So now I have to be worried about being fired over this. Great. I've got a
call in to my union but of course they took today off.

Anybody else ever run into this type of closed-mindedness? If so, how did it
turn out? I could really use some perspectives on this from an artist point
of view...

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas