Re: Celu-clay

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 21:17:26 PDT

I took a celu-clay workshop once. BY ALL MEANS USE A MASK WHEN MIXING, IT
MAKES LOTS OF DUST. I think we put the cellu-clay in a plastic mixing bowl
first, then pour water over it (check directions for proportions). Then
mix with your hands to get rid of lumps and squeezing it and mixing until
it is thick and pasty--not too watery.

We suclpted it around branches we found outdoors and got lots of
interesting gestural figures and creatures. Adding the glue may help it
stick to the armature--didn't think of that. When it dries, it is very
hard and gray like
cement. You can paint it with temperas or acrylics.

Fun and interesting to use instead of clay.

Judie

>I have used Celu-Clay over armatures of newspaper. I put a base layer of
>paper mache on--then apply/pinch squeeze the Celu-clay. I have also used
>Celu-clay to shape features over plaster addition (plaster gauze).
>
>Judy Decker
>

>---

---