my angry parent letter

---------

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 08:36:56 PDT

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I finally wrote my letter. I am going
to have my principal check it first, of course. I basically empathsized with
her about stained clothes. I put my plug in about how even "washable"
products don't come out. I also informed her that certain colors are worse
than others, such as red. (This was the color that got on the shirt.) Then I
told her that it would be impossible for me to contact every parent to give
advanced notice, because I can't guarantee what's going to happen. So she
needs to make sure that her daughter is prepared every class. I put in a
blurb about how I am going to put appropiate art class attire in the student
handbook next fall. I also added that if she had questions she should have
talked to me about them when I called her. (She questioned the validity of
the project. She felt first graders should not have been doing it.) I told
her that I would take her concern into consideration for next year, but she
needs to realize that there are other factors like curriculum guidelines and
such.

After reading your discussion, I shake my head. In fact, I did notify all
the parents that we use paint in the classroom and that students should be
prepared to come to class every time. I offered stain removal suggestions. I
didn't remember this until now. Having her come in would not be to my
benefit especially after the last two parent aides. They basically came in
and did the kids' work and disciplined them in class. Made my life, well,
interesting for awhile. Plus, she is also one of those moms who complains
about everything. I guess she came at the principal about how to run the
school. The secretarys comforted me by saying "Paybacks are hell; just wait
her time will come."

While writing this, I realized that in fact I DID inform all of the parents
that the students would painting. Aha! I found my plug. She can't be angry
with me when I already informed all of the parents. Yeah! Thank you everyone
for your great ideas!

Jennifer in Michigan

---