Re: Geometry terms/ Tessellation/ correction

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 18:28:02 PDT

Woody, You are confusing me.

Yes, a Rhombus will tessellate. A rhombus (4 congruent sides with 2
equal angles of less than 45 and 2 equal angles greater than 45
totaling 360 degrees) is a squashed leaning over square (4 congruent
sides with four 45 degree angles).

Test this out: the sum of the angles that share a vertex must = 360
degrees. 6 equilateral triangles arranged around a vertex = 360
degrees and will tessellate. Lay 3 hexagons around a point and they =
360 degrees and will tessellate. Lay 4 pentagons around a point and
they overlap because the sum is 432 degrees and won't tessellate.

Bunki! Help me out here! What a day to be without a protractor!
----------
>From: Woody Duncan <wduncan@kc.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: Geometry terms/ Tessellation/ correction
>Date: Wed, Apr 18, 2001, 8:00 PM

>> A shape that will tessellate is a shape which has angles that total
>> 360 degrees. Any other shape will not tessellate.
> A Rhombus has more than 360 degrees
> and A Rhombus will tessellate
>> The three angles of
>> a triangle will add up to 360 degrees therefore a triangle will
>> tessellate.
> What triangle's 3 angles do not add up to 360 degrees ?
> Will every triangle tessellate ? I use equilateral triangles,
> will others tessellate ?
>> A square has angles that add up to 360 degrees therefore a
>> square will tessellate.

> Just some questions, Woody in KC

---