Re: Linoleum extension ideas - more ideas

---------

From: MDecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 06:49:25 PDT

Well...I just came up with more that I have done...

Radial Design:

I have had students do one 6" square --(original idea folded
diagonally --transfered to the other side) with a symmetrical design--nature
works nicely for this. I did Oriental inspired designs and I have done
flowers (Georgia O'Keefe as inpsiration).
Students print on 12" square paper --rotating the print to make a radial
design. I did the Oriental design with 8th graders (had them print an extra
for repair if needed) in a three color reduction print. They really had to
get the registration right each time and all prints had to be good. When I
did the Georgia O'Keeffe inspired flowers with 6th grade--students printed
on separate papers (two color reduction). I cut theirs out using the paper
cutter and they glued the prints to a 12x12" square. This was easier for the
kids--but took more of my time.

Romare Bearden: Our Town (and Our School as themes--trwo different years)

Students made a lino cut from photograph of our town (or our school) --they
focused on something interesting in the photograph (6" square --I do not
have any student photos----but could photograph my sample if you are
interested). The print then became part of a larger collage --either parts
of the print--or the whole print was added to the collage/drawing--the rest
of the photograph images could be included in the 12x18 drawing
(magazine/mixed media collage too). Students who finished early were
encouraged to do the collage while late finishes only had to do the extended
drawing.

Here is one I sent personally to Susan:

I just posted to the list---but just now got on the digest who posted
originaly (Road Runner mail is running very late)...One more idea I have
done is to mount a smaller print (I usualy do ours 6" x 6"...8" x10", 5" x
7") onto a 12" x18" paper and extend the drawing. This worked very well with
Oriental inspired prints. Students mounted onto white paper and extended
with ink drawing ---or mounted onto balc paper and extended with gold paint
marker or white colored pencil.

Judy

P.S. Sorry if this is a repeat....but it didn't show up in my sent
folder...I added the Romare Bearden anyway...so part of it is new (I just
remembered that one while doing the laundry...smile).

---