Re: Ideas needed for autistic group

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 19:21:55 PDT

A lesson I learned in an "exceptional child" course in college came in handy
one year when I had an autistic student. We studied Op Art, and made
"spinners". Take a 9" or 12" design circle and find the center. Divide into
1/4 sections, then create a design. Color with markers. When finished
coloring take a brad and insert from the bottom so the flat part in
underneath. Spin on a flat surface and watch the colors mix. I was able to
pretty much keep this kid "with me" on other lessons with the promise of
allowing him to get his spinner out at the end of class. Granted, he was low
end autistic, but it definately worked! Plus, I was able to do this with the
entire class. I still do this lesson every year - I'll try to get a picture
posted next week.
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids