Re: two liter plastic soda bottle idea

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 18:17:22 PDT

In a message dated 04/06/2001 10:22:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
thankfulheart99@yahoo.com writes:

> The principal asked if I
> would like to keep the two liter soda bottles to use
> in an art project. I took them but I have drawn a
> blank as to how I can use them creatively in an art
> project. Other then things such as whirlygigs, flower
> pots etc... I have drawn a blank. Can any of you
> artistic geniuses give me some inspiration?

Well, this is far from being ingenious, however, I just finished a project
with my elementary school students using 2 liter soda bottles. They
absolutely loved doing it, everyone was successful, it integrated classroom
learning, and the project looks great- so, for what more can one ask?!? I
call the lesson Biography Bottle Babies:

In the classroom, the students were learning how to write a biography. Each
chose a famous person (living or deceased) and researched information about
that individual. In the art room we created sculptures of that person using
the bottle for the body and a 3" styrofoam ball for the head. Just press the
styro ball into the neck of the bottle and you've got instant armature. Soak
torn grocery bags in water overnight, wring out, dip in Ross Art Paste (or
facsimille paper mache paste) and put one coat to cover the entire armature.

When dry, you've got a great painting surface. The kids painted on suits,
dresses, and painted heads appropriate skin colors. For hands we used
construction paper and glued on, eyes were googly paste-on kind. Students
added fabric, felt, fake hair, etc.,etc., various materials to make
appropriate props. For example: Davy Cockett had a fake fur racoon hat,
leather vest, and held a walking stick made from a small branch. Dr. Suess
was painted fluorescent green with a tall red and white striped top hat on
top of white fiberfill hair and beard. The child created a small pic of green
eggs and ham for one hand to hold and a small book with the same title for
the other. Some things had to be hot glued on so that's where I came in for
this 2nd grade project.

I think this lesson can be adapted for a wide range of grade levels, don't
you?
Susan on Long Island

---