poem

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 06:44:25 PDT

We read this in college. It was a real eye opener.
Makes me think of the sunshines in the corner. I'm
doing beautiful Georgia o'Keefe inspired flower
paintings with seventh graders, and wouldn't ya know
it? One of them put the little corner sunshine in the
background behind her giant flower. Was I being like
the teacher in the poem when I said that her
kindergarten sunshine didn't need to be there? I don't
think so. I think the poem is supposed to make us
realize the importance of creativity, but I think we
also need to be aware that letting students go nuts
can deny them the opportunity to learn something. By
the way, this poem is why I don't like the Mona Brooks
book (the clown paintings with the red noses and
triangle hats, etc.)
Jayna