Re: RE: VanGogh's sold painting

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 06:58:47 PDT

Van Gogh made over 800 drawings, and 900 paintings in a prolific 10 year period. His mother threw away cratefuls, but lived long enough to regret having done so.

Interestingly, a Japanese multi-millionaire purchased a Van Gogh for I believe $83,000,000....and may have been Dr. Gachet, both a physician and fellow artist Van Gogh knew during his northern France Epilepsy retreat years just prior to his death. This Japanese investor had put it in his will that should he die, the famous painting was to be destroyed, for he knew his relatives would be unable to financially afford the weight of insuring this piece. You'd think he could have had the painting to be auctioned off and the monies used as a benefit to his relations. Go figure.

At any rate...hey, the guy died nearly 1-1/2 years ago or so, and guess what? No painting. No one knows where the painting is! How about that one!

Larry

---