Re: I am curious

---------

From: mark alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 18:21:41 PDT

Dear Karen,

There are lots of Christian artists and art teachers. Many are members
of this list. I am one Christian art teacher on this list. In fact, I'm
a deacon of my Church, Congregational Church of Salisbury, United
Church of Christ. There are no doubt many Jews, Muslims, and other
religions represented on this list. There's plenty of room for all
beliefs, and I strongly feel that diversity is what makes this list and
our world so interesting. I'm sure there are folks who'll delete this
strand, just as a I almost did. No doubt many will feel that ArtsEdNet
just isn't the place to debate religion, and wish you'd have this
discussion privately. However, if you want to do it on the list, go
ahead, but please don't feel victimized if everyone doesn't join you.
It's ok. You are free to use this list as you wish, and you are free to
be selective about the posts you read and respond to, just as the rest
of us are.

As an aside, I don't have any trouble with nudity in art - as long as
it isn't disgraceful in any way. I teach in a PreK - 8 public school. I
use nude artwork for visual resources in the classroom at all levels,
because it is an important part of art history. Michelangelo's Sistine
Chapel Ceiling, Henry Moore's bronze nudes, Picasso's Guernica are just
a few examples, off the top of my head, of nudes in art history which I
feel are important for students to study. I've found that with
nonchalant exposure, the giggle factor settles down and the students
are able to deal with nudity in art quite naturally, and learn a lot
about art, the world, and themselves. I've never had any trouble with
students coping with nudity in art, and I have never had any parental
or administrative complaints.

On my own artistic pursuit, I practice life drawing on at least a
weekly basis, and I throughly enjoy the exercise. Some of my best
drawings are from nude models. I don't hang them in my classroom, but
sometimes my students do come across them in my sketchbooks, which are
with me always. In my eyes, nudity in art isn't sinful or sexual,
unless the viewer can't handle it, or it's pornography of some sort.

Mark Alexander