Photo inclusions in handmade paper-and more

From: mdecker (mdecker)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 19:14:36 PDT

    I have imbedded several different kinds of images in handmade paper. My
    favorite was an antique photograph (I experimented with a "nobody" to me so
    I wouldn't ruin a relative if it didn't work). I pealed the photo off the
    cardboard backing--put just a thin layer of glue on back of the
    photo--placed on sheet of handmade paper and then put a little pulp around
    edges (I use a turkey baster for this)--Then couched and pressed (my husband
    made a small press for me). Color prints from Ink Jet DO bleed. You will
    loose most of the color. Photocopies do not bleed --color laser print was
    OK, too (didn't fade as much as ink jet). Others in the class used regular
    photographs with success.

    Cut out shapes of tissue paper placed on handmade paper (before couching)
    gives interesting results, too--usually do not need to glue these down.

    Stencils made from plexi-glass (unusual shapes) can be held in place--Mold
    dipped into pulp as usual. Remove the stencil--and fill carefull with
    another color of pulp using a squees bottle or turkey baster.

    Here is another idea. You can add interesting shapes to a sheet of handmade
    paper by dipping into the pulp cut out shapes made from window screen (I got
    mine free from a hardware store--they would have pitched it). It gets a
    little tricky sometime peeling the screen away from the shapes as the fibers
    want to cling to the screen---but my seventh graders were able to do it just
    fine. You can add lines across the paper by pulling a fishline through the
    pulp. Place on your sheet--then pull line out (hold one end down as you do
    this).

    I also like using the handmade paper for all kind of printing
    projects--linoleum, litho-sketch and dry point etchings.

    Judy D.

    ---