kites for 6th graders

From: MPBC90
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 18:06:12 PDT

    In a message dated 4/26/00 3:03:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    artsednet writes:

    <<
     hi all
     I'm looking for information on kites. I checked the archives , specifically
     fish kites, but didn't have any luck. This is something my 6th grade is
     interested in doing as the weather warms up. any ideas??
     MaryB

    dear maryb,

    Grade Level: 4-6
    Objective: Each student will create a fish kite with a color scheme

    Motivational resources: Pictures of fish, pictures of kites, history of
    kites, discussion of Japanese kites and traditions, color scheme examples

    Vocabulary: Kites, color schemes

    Materials:
    18x20 manila grid paper, newsprint, pencils/crayons, scissors, paper towels,
    tea filters(industrial), acrylic paint, paint brushes/water contatiner,
    craft bond glue, dowel rods 2/student, string, pelon, masking tape,
    sharpies-black, "stroke master"

    Essential elements: A) Awareness and sesnitivity to: 1. Line, color, shape
    texture, value, form space 2. Unity, emphasis, balance, variety
    B) Art Media: Drawing, painting, printmaking, 3-D, manipulating fibers
    C) Understanding and appreciating of self and others through culture and
    heritage
    D) Aesthetic Growth 1. Explore artwork of students and major artists
    2. Apply art knowledge and judgment through personal choice.

    Procedure: Intro: Motivation/discussion--kites/Japanese traditions
    Begin: Choose and design fish kite/3 thumbnail sketches on newsprint-choose
    best sketch for kite. Draw all parts of kite on manila grid paper/lable with
    colors
    Day 2: Complete drawing and labeling-cut out all pieces and trace them onto
    large tea filters-paint tea filters with watered down acrylic paint-cut out,
    notch and cut/tape dowel rods together for frame, stretch string around
    frame, attach fish parts to pelon with waterted down craft bond glue
    Day 3: Complete frame and attaching fish parts to pelon, attach kite to
    frame, seal with "stroke master", make all kite tails at attach string to
    kite
    Day 4: Fly kites!
    good luck!
    mp