Re: kids are contagious!!!

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 17:13:02 PDT

    > Roberta:
    >
    > I am not a health professional, but we had a similar problem in the
    > elementary where I worked for many years. Teachers were constantly sick
    with
    > colds and the flu. After the district nursing supervisor and our own
    school
    > nurse watched us for a few days, they gave a good suggestion that worked.
    > The main thing they noticed is that we (the teachers) would grade papers
    and
    > then not wash out hands. They also noticed that we would sit at the
    > children's desks or touch their desks, papers, books, pencils, etc. ...
    and
    > you guessed it. We didn't wash our hands. After we instituted a policy
    of
    > frequent hand washing with soap, many of our flu problems went away.
    >
    > Pam

    Yes, handwashing is the answer. I wash before my hands go near my mouth,
    nose, or eyes. I wash before I go home, then I change clothes, and wash
    again. I'm even careful after touching things that I have brought home from
    school. It seems excessive, but I have not been sick all year (knock
    wood!). Problem now is, my hands are often red and cracked, and they look
    80 years old. Oh, one more thing, use liquid as opposed to bar soap, if you
    must use bar soap, have your own bar.

    Leah

    ---