Re: weebsitees--ideas

From: sharonbk
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 16:10:53 PDT

    Hi--regarding website how-to's, I'll share my introduction into the world of
    website creation....

    Check, first, to see if your internet service provider (if you have service
    from your home) offers free webspace. If not and yet you still have
    internet access from your school, consider one of the free webspace
    companies such as geocities or homepage.com

    My main site is through my ISP, but I also have a homepage.com page that I
    haven't really used yet because I don't like the annoying banners that come
    with most "free" sites. However, as I've about used up my allotted 5 MB of
    space on my current page, I may have to start using both (i.e. some links
    might take you to the other page).

    I use WS-FTP Pro to upload my pictures to my webpage. I downloaded a trial
    version but liked it enough to purchase it for $39, I think.

    While there are webeditors out there like HotDog and MS Frontpage, I found
    them to be too restrictive after I learned the barebones basics of html. (I
    just started this over the Thanksgiving break, so I'm still very much a
    newbie.)

    As for uploading pictures to share with everyone, you can also consider
    setting up your own page or section on the ClubPhoto site that Deb set up
    for everyone on the ArtsEdNet list. The URL is:
    http://members2.clubphoto.com/art216973/

    Once at the site, look at the far left of the screen, under where it says
    "Member Albums" and above the green bar that says "Join Club Photo".
    There's a blue hyperlink that says "member login." Click this and in the
    email address box that comes up you should type:
    artedNetter and the password is gettylist.

    I'm sorry that more people haven't taken advantage of this. As long as you
    have your pictures in a .jpg format on a disk or something, you can upload
    them to share with the group on this site.

    Anyhow, I hope this helps a little--and I hope you're able to save your
    pictures!!

    Sharon
    http://home.adelphia.net/~sharonbk
    Artwork & Lesson Plans, Genealogy,