Books for Children about African Americans or by African American Artists

From: Kay Broadwater (kbroadwater)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 15:37:52 PDT

    Dear Colleagues,
    I am working on developing an exhaustive bibliography of children's books
    about African American Art and African American
    Artists. I am doing this for a group of urban middle school children that I
    work with who have shown a great interest in the
    Harlem Renaissance, Jazz and African American Art. While I was in L.A. I was
    able to visit MOCA and I purchase three
    wonderful books that they have loved!
    The Jungle by Michael Roberts
    Story Painter- The Life of Jacob Lawrence, By John Duggleby
    Ezra Jack Keats- A Biography with Illustrations, by Dean Engel and Florence B.
    Freedman
    Can you give me complete bibliography info or at least the titles and authors
    for additional books for Elementary and Middle
    School learners?
    Thank you so much. When I have completed a fine bibliography I will post it
    on this list for all to share.
    Kay Broadwater

    ---