common sense

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:00:32 PDT

    Protecting against viruses is a common enough thread here. I just had a
    scare. I was loading some picture files, and there were two word documents
    and I clicked one by mistake. Norton kicked in because the file was infected
    with Ethan. It was an old disk that another staff member grabbed to save the
    pictures onto. Now I have to rescan all the computers, and take everyone's
    back-up floppies home and scan them. When we had a problem last year with
    this, I told everyone to scan his or her backup disks. Someone didn't, or
    they tossed the disk and someone else thought it was a mistake and fished it
    out. I've labeled that disk infected and threw it away. If you do get a
    virus, just cleaning it off your hard drive is not enough. You have to clean
    all your back-up disks. Just a word of wisdom.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator