Re: Re(2): Createx monotype inks

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:00:26 PDT

    Sue,

    Have used a small press in school and a larger press at the University and I
    believe they work better than hand transfers, especially with papers such as
    Arches, Rives or Stonehenge. Personally I like using the back of a wooden
    spoon on rice paper or many of the exotic unsized papers available. The
    heavier paper I soak for at least 20 minutes and then roll between some
    blotter sheets before running through the press.

    For the rice-type papers I just mist with a handsprayer bottle that cost me
    about $1.00, lay it over the image and then place a clear sheet of acetate
    over that and then rub it with the spoon or a soft rubber brayer. I can see
    the image transfer really well this way and the acetate keeps the sheet damp
    and avoids any residual coloror dirt from attacking the back of the
    print(sometimes the students don't always do the best job of cleaning the
    brayers.)

    The unevenness of the hand transfers sometimes makes the image look better I
    think and you should also be sure the surface your working on is smooth and
    even as well. Hoope these ideas help.

    Dennis

    Dennis Golombek
    Lowry Middle School