Re: Projects 1st thru 8th gr.

From: skygeoff
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 13:46:14 PDT

    Every year I use a multicultural theme for all the grades I teach (grades one
    through five). This year it was Mexico. It's a great way to explore a theme.
    The children brought in lots of sombreros, puppets, weavings, maracas, etc. to
    decorate the room. I did this for about two marking periods. We made maracas,
    handwoven mini ponchos, Mexican rugs, Mexican kid puppets, Aztec calandars,
    Aztec helmets, Aztec shields, clay animals painted Oaxacan style and lots more.
    Last year I did Japan. I've done Egypt, Ancient Greece and Rome, Cave art,
    India, China, Africa, American folk art, Native American art and so on this
    way. It's so much fun to really dive into a subject thoroughly. The parents
    get involved, too. They came into our class and demonstrated Mexican cooking ,
    taught some Spanish and demonstrated weaving. I was lucky that many of my
    students have vacationed in Mexico so they had lots of souvenirs and photographs
    to share.

    Sky

    ---