Mexican clay/wire figure (Cultural lesson)

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 08:56:26 PDT

    Sharon Henneborn wrote:

    > Diego liked the large puppets that parade at festivals. He especially
    > liked the skeleton puppets carried on poles. Many of his political
    > murals would fit nicely with the theme of Cinco de Mayo. Small
    > figures with arms and legs jointed by brads that represent some of the
    > culture and history.
    I have one. I just thought of- (actually I just inherited my great
    grandmothers mortar and pestle out of rock which must be at least 80
    years old and I placed it on top of our china cabinet which holds
    ethnic toys and artifacts, next to it is this corn husk doll on a
    stand). So I was thinking of Sharon (bk)and her wire sculpture
    figures. My idea is similar, a combination of both. Wire which is
    formed to a figure and attached to a base. Corn husk which is formed
    over wire and then painted with acrylic paint. ( mine is a jaguar
    with spots) clay hands and feet. Then a plaster or clay mask which
    you can get very small molds for at "Michaels". Decorate the
    finished mask in any animal finish. Can make several different
    animals. TM Sandra Summers-Barrick (CP)
     Or make miniature giant puppets. YOu could do the clay vehicles or
    musicians that are very popular in stores.
    Sandra
    astroboy

    ---