Re: Artists in Residence

From: Colette Naubert (cnaubert)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 07:44:23 PDT

    Hello Dennis,
    I am a subscriber to artsed net (... a lurker, really, as I am not a teacher, and many of the topics do not relate to my field of work) I work for the Ontario Arts Council, and I am presently involved in the administration of an "Artists in Education" program, which funds a similar AiR program than the one you've described (ususally a minimum of 25 hours, involving any school recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Education) Can you explain what you mean by "one hour community"? Thanks in advance for your reply.

    Colette Naubert
    Associate Officer/Responsable adjointe
    Ontario Arts Council/Conseil des arts de l'Ontario
    (416)969-7428
    1-800-387-0058 ext. 7428
    cnaubert

    >>> Dennis Morris <theartboss> 04/19/00 09:27PM >>>
    I have co-ordinated several air in my schools and can
    provide some info about Illinois. ( I have done short
    term airs and plan on doing more after retirement in
    June, but have never been co-sponsored by State AIR )
    In Illinois the AIR should always have certified
    personnel with them. The residency is not to be used
    to gain release time for teachers or replace an art
    program. Resident artists usuially work a twenty hour
    week. We scheduled 3 hours of a core class, 12 hours
    of other classes, 4 hours of prep., and one hour
    community. These times may vary but the Arts Council
    believes in providing adequate time for preparation.
    The AIR's in my school included, Theater and Folk
    Music and Storytelling. A budget includes $$$ for a
    guest artist too.
    Dennis Morris