RE: Please help:)

From: Judie (judiej50)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 02:04:25 PDT

    Below are some results of web searched I did a while back when I did a
    project on paper molas with my students.

    Using seven layers of different colored paper (construction paper is fine, or a
    nicer grade of the nonfade paper is better), staple the top corners together.
    Have students draw a mola inspired design on top (see examples on websites).
    Don't get too detailed, smaller shapes are harder to cut to reveal the
    other layers underneath. Place a piece of matboard underneath the top
    sheet of paper and using an exacto blade, cut out the shapes. Place the
    matboard underneath the second sheet of paper, and using the cutouts as
    guidelines, cut about 1/4 inch from the first cut line to reveal the color
    of the second sheet. Repeat this with each layer (color) of paper, leaving
    the bottom sheet uncut.

    I SUGGEST YOU TRY THIS BEFORE YOU HAVE YOUR STUDENTS DO IT. ONCE YOU BEGIN IT
    YOU'LL FIGURE OUT WHAT TYPES OF SHAPES WORK BEST.

    Once, I had my students use the college of their choice logo as their design.
    Some interesting results.

    http://www.panamacanal.com/molas.htm

    http://homestead.com/molasite/molasite.html

    Good luck.

    Judie J

    >Hi all,
    >Have been out of action for a while (have to stop climbing those quince
    >trees) and just noticed that someone put down in a message regarding art
    >from different cultures that molas come from Australia. Just what are
    >molas? Can anyone let me know - I am in Australia and I am suddenly
    >feeling like I fell on my head not my back.
    >Gina

    ---