Alternative Art

From: Valerie Morreale (stereoval)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 08:57:43 PDT

    Dear ArtsEdNet subscribers (Hi Dennis!),

       I am a student teacher who is nine days away from
    certification. I have been immensly enjoying this
    listserv and I read it digested everyday.
    My cooperating teacher is requiring me to complete a
    semester project outside of my college requirements
    (portfolio, self-portrait, lessons, seminar papers,
    professional journal etc..).

       The project is to create an alternative art book
    that is given to either an entire class or to selected
    students that is to be completed with basic tools
    (pencils, colored pencils, crayon) and then graded.
    The book must function at the sixth, seventh and
    eighth grade levels. She has given me a book that she
    used with a class that had so many behavior problems
    they could not have 'real art' until they were able to
    prove that they were ready. The students came into
    the art room and sat in silence, working in thier
    alternative art books.

       The assignments were actually fairly simple, they
    had to create an environment for a photocopied animal,
    design the book cover, do a border design for a
    printed poem, add tiny bodies to large heads, fill in
    your initial with a theme of images, op art, create a
    bug, add basketball players to an image of a ball and
    basketball net and so on..

       Each assignment was to take more than one class
    period to complete. It also has to be graphically
    simple enough to allow many photocopies to be made.
    Everything must be 8 1/2" x 11" or less and all
    directions are to be written, requiring no or very
    little teacher instruction and demonstration.

       I have come up with a few ideas but what I want to
    create are assignments that are meaningful,
    multicultural and incorporate DBAE. Is this possible
    with one page assignments and no teacher instruction??
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
                          Sincerely,
                          Valerie:)

    =====
    Valerie Morreale
    BFA Printmaking
    Art Educator k-12
    E-Mail- stereoval
    Online Portfolio and Personal Web Page at:
    http://www.geocities.com/stereoval