Re: Chalk creations

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 21:08:44 PDT

    Great site! I love chalk murals, and this site reminded me of the last time I did them.

    For a field day I organized the execution of a large chalk mural on the big cement patio outside the front entrance of my school. I roped off the sidewalk, so a 4 foot wide path to the front door remained clean. It was the last week of school, and every student and staff member worked on it, including the principal. It was a fabulous mural, with a Chagall-like dream quality, as everyone's imagery followed their personal whims. We were all proud of it, especially the 8th graders who had recently finished a unit on abstract expressionism, which included a hands-on studio visit to a splashy abstract artist's studio. I remember some of them saying it would be fun for their families to view it at their graduation in three days.

    The custodian didn't complain to me, although he didn't participate, either, except for providing orange cones and plastic surveyor's tape to keep people from wandering off the clean sidewalk. He took his work very seriously. The mural stayed for two days, but on the evening of 8th grade students, staff, parents arrived for the graduation ceremony and were surprised to find the custodian had powerwashed the mural away that afternoon. It turns out he was annoyed that we put all that filth there to be tracked into the building, and offended that the principal had even contributed to it.

    At the time I was outraged, but I have since developed a pretty good relationship with the custodian, and we get along ok now. We help each other out from time to time, and I always check with him whenever I do anything out of the ordinary. One trick to get him to go along with something is to ask him for help---rather than ask him if it would be ok. That way he gets to feel he's a part of it. We all live and learn.

    I'm looking forward to doing another chalk mural one day.

    Mark