Mola's

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 13:44:01 PDT

    They are a wonderful art form and not mainly a religious expression.

    They are an excellent vehicle to demonstrate the development of a
    tradition with the influence of time. Some Mola's are used to teach
    the history of the Spanish disruption of their culture and the Modern
    Mola's tell modern stories. Recently there was an exhibit of Mola's
    at the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian in
    Manhattan. Some of the modern ones were interesting. Fred Flintstone
    theme for example. Look in the Crizmac catalog for a good children's
    book about Mola's. Good to use as example of designs that use total
    space.
    >From: DHJones3
    >Subject: Re: Please help:)
    >Date: Sun, Apr 23, 2000, 9:44 AM

    > Molas are from the Cuna Indians in Panama. They use the to decorate their
    > clothes. They are appliqued and cut piecs of fabric. They are colorful and
    > beautiful and you can have the kids make them from paper.

    ---