Re:jewelry lessons and African art

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 04:37:45 PDT

    Subject: jewelry
    From: "Christy Kane" <claygoddess31>
    Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:31:57 EDT

    >Hi
    I'm getting ready to finish my second year teaching 3-d art at the high
    school level. I'm already rewriting and revamping for next year. I teach
    jewelry unit which consists of etched cuff bracelets based on culturally
    specific designs, forming and soldering rings design of their choice,
    and
    stone set pendants also their designs. Anyone out there have any jewelry
    projects or design ideas? I want to try something new! I have a couple
    students with great potential and I'd like to challenge them. I am going
    try to start casting next year, but may not have all the equipment.
    Christy

    Christy,
    Try to get a copy of Lapidary Journal Magazine. They have a variety of
    projects in the back and I have used some of them when I taught Jewelry
    classes. They have a web site: http://www.lapidaryjournal.com
    Teri Brudnak
    Corona del Mar High School Art Department

    Here's my line up for this semester for my advanced class...they do a
    section of jewelry projects based on African art..they have a choice of
    casting or fabrication. We will do some beadmaking with polymer clay as well.
    Be sure to look at Angela Fisher's book "Africa Adorned" (also see her
    articles in Nat. Geographic)

    Art 3,4 b
    Spring 2000

                                                            Class Syllabus

    1. Sketchbook
    All students will make a sketchbook that will be used for drawing
    assignments in class and for notes during slide presentations.
    Sketchbook points will be given for each day that an assignment is
    required. (10 pts per assignment)

    2. Painting Techniques: Love Stories and the Artistic Tradition
    We will be looking at art works from many periods and cultures that
    reflect the theme of love. Students will then create a painting composed
    of symbolic objects that create an allegory about love.

    3.Artist in Residence Project
    Students will participate in a collaborative work under the direction of
    artist Sandol Birk in conjunction with his exhibition "In Smog and
    Thunder: The Great War of the Californias" at the Laguna Museum of Art.

    4.Traditions of African Art: Magic and Myths
    We will be learning about African sculpture, masks, textiles and
    jewelry. Students will create their own jewelry and sculpture from lost
    wax casting and metalworking.

    5.Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder: Cultural and Historical
    Standards of Beauty
    Composite images of what is considered beautiful in various cultures and
    times. Body art and alterations such as scarification, tatooing, etc.
    Use of digital media and photography. Self portrait as a person from
    another culture using Photoshop.

    ---